Thursday, February 26, 2015

Goodbye to Blogger

Hello readers,As a lot of you know by now, Blogger is enforcing a new policy soon concerning the censorship of nudity and sexually explicit content. You can find more information about it here. Basically, the change would set my blogs to “private” which would only be accessible by readers who share their email with me to be added to a reading list (meaning: no more lurking and no more anonymity). Because of this, several other writers in the Sims’ community have chosen to preemptively set their blogs to private and move their work to other hosting sites (such as WordPress or Tumblr). I, unfortunately, do not have the flexibility of doing this.I currently maintain 15 blogs on Blogger for several different stories, all of them containing some degree of nudity, sexual explicit, or adult content. I just cannot move EVERYTHING in order to protect the integrity of the story and I cannot simply make each offending post private, as per their suggestion. Making one post in violation of the new policy private would be like watching an episode of your favorite television show where the first 30 minutes is muted or blacked out. It undermines the author’s hard work and you, the reader, are in a position of not understanding what is happening because of missing information.A few years ago, I made the leap FROM WordPress to Blogger because of the added design features and endless capacities for customization. It was a lot of work and took quite a while to get everything right but I did it and now it seems that all of my time and effort was for naught.At this current time, moving would be a real pain involving an abundance of energy and I don’t know if I can devote time to doing that right now. So in light of the coming changes and if it turns out:Note: We’ll still allow nudity if the content offers a substantial public benefit. For example, in artistic, educational, documentary, or scientific contexts.does not apply to me as a writer, it would be my duty to inform all of you that this may mean the end to many of my stories as I won’t be able to move them all at once.Congratulations, Google Blogger. You have completely alienated a large group of writers, artists and readers because apparently having the adult content notice in place is no longer enough. In instituting your new policy you are informing your public you care nothing of their freedom of speech and expression and, in my opinion, can no longer use the phrase “Happy Blogging” in good conscience; there is nothing “happy” about this.~ Daijah


Hello readers,

As a lot of you know by now, Blogger is enforcing a new policy soon concerning the censorship of nudity and sexually explicit content. You can find more information about it here. Basically, the change would set my blogs to “private” which would only be accessible by readers who share their email with me to be added to a reading list (meaning: no more lurking and no more anonymity).

Because of this, several other writers in the Sims’ community have chosen to preemptively set their blogs to private and move their work to other hosting sites (such as WordPress or Tumblr). I, unfortunately, do not have the flexibility of doing this.

I currently maintain 15 blogs on Blogger for several different stories, all of them containing some degree of nudity, sexual explicit, or adult content. I just cannot move EVERYTHING in order to protect the integrity of the story and I cannot simply make each offending post private, as per their suggestion. Making one post in violation of the new policy private would be like watching an episode of your favorite television show where the first 30 minutes is muted or blacked out. It undermines the author’s hard work and you, the reader, are in a position of not understanding what is happening because of missing information.

A few years ago, I made the leap FROM WordPress to Blogger because of the added design features and endless capacities for customization. It was a lot of work and took quite a while to get everything right but I did it and now it seems that all of my time and effort was for naught.

At this current time, moving would be a real pain involving an abundance of energy and I don’t know if I can devote time to doing that right now. So in light of the coming changes and if it turns out:
Note: We’ll still allow nudity if the content offers a substantial public benefit. For example, in artistic, educational, documentary, or scientific contexts.
does not apply to me as a writer, it would be my duty to inform all of you that this may mean the end to many of my stories as I won’t be able to move them all at once.

Congratulations, Google Blogger. You have completely alienated a large group of writers, artists and readers because apparently having the adult content notice in place is no longer enough. In instituting your new policy you are informing your public you care nothing of their freedom of speech and expression and, in my opinion, can no longer use the phrase “Happy Blogging” in good conscience; there is nothing “happy” about this.

~ Daijah

No comments:

Post a Comment