Saturday, July 2, 2011

S1: Chapter 03: The Mark


“We don’t have much time. Dustin, make contact with our CIA liaison. Let him know that there is a risk to National security and get us the clearance we’ll need.”

“On it.”
“Victor, we’re going to need the best weapons you have for this. If we’re going in, we’re going in hot. Fix us up a nice arsenal.”
“Roger,” he said moving towards his display.
“Ryan, your file said you’re an expert safe cracker, right?”
He nodded. “Good. We may need to get into that safe and replace the item with a dummy. We should also supply these guys with a small token of our appreciation,” she smiled.
“And what about me?” Brett asked stepping towards her.
She grinned and tossed the apron at him.
“You’re serious?”
“What? Did you think I was doing it? I’m his personal assistant…he might recognize me.”
Dustin, Murph and Ryan setup in a van across the street as Brett made his way to the table with a smile and a menu. “What’ll it be today, Gentlemen?”
“Where’s Bobby? He’s the usual waiter,” Harper asked.
“He took the day off but I’ll be happy to wait on you.”
“Fine. I’ll have the Fresca and a cup of coffee.” His phone rang and he glanced at it before placing it back in his pocket.
“And you sir?”
“Just coffee for me.”
“I’ll be back shortly,” Brett said resetting the menus and leaving a small bug in place.
“How are we on the buyers?” the unsub asked.
“Already have four lined up. It will of course go to the highest bidder,” Harper answered.  “Are your men ready to carry out the plans?”
“We’ve gone over the information thoroughly. The facility has been scouted as well. We’re prepared don’t you worry.”
“Brett, wait on delivering the order, they’re opening up. Maybe we can get a location if we let them go,” Murph said. “Boss are you getting this?”
“Every word,” she said snapping another photo of the duo. “Has the facial recognition software picked up anything on this man, Dusty?”
“Nothing yet boss, it’s still running.”
“Good, hopefully we’ll get something on him. I find it hard to believe there’s nothing so far in any law enforcement database.”
“Where the hell is that damned waiter?” Harper asked in frustration.  “How hard is it to pour a cup of coffee?”
“I don’t know why you always want to come to this place.”
“Because the police station is just across the street,” he smirked.
“How arrogant, he gets off knowing he’s plotting this under the nose of the police,” Dustin said. “Brett get in there before they decide to leave.”
Brett walked over with their tray of drinks and left a basket of rolls. “Sorry about that, freshly brewed Java for you two.”
They waited until he removed himself from their sight before continuing with the conversation.
If this goes off without a hitch, we could possibly turn it into a business,” the unsub suggested.
I don’t think so. I’m cutting ties with everyone once the deal is done. I don’t trust anyone and the further I’m from this thing the better off I’ll feel,” Harper replied.
“Not that you’re paranoid or anything.”
“You can never be too sure!”
“Well if that’s the case then why haven’t you noticed that van parked across from us for the last twenty minutes?”
Harper turned his attention towards the van and stood.
“Now ask yourself, what is a telephone van doing sitting across the street for twenty minutes without a single pole in the area?”
Harper scoffed and crossed the small gate near his table towards them.
“Shit! He’s heading this way,” Ryan said as Harper stepped onto the sidewalk.
“I got him,” Yvette said quickly walking towards her employer. She bumped him and nearly knocked him on the ground.
“Oh I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I am in such a rush I wasn’t looking where I was going,” she said without looking at him.
“Danielle?” he said catching her gaze.
“Mr. Harper, sir. I’m sorry about that. I didn’t mean to hit you.”
“It’s perfectly ok, and it’s Ron remember? What are you doing here?”
“I was completing one of the items on your errands list, last one as a matter of fact. I really didn’t mean to bump you, again, I’m sorry.”
“Stop apologizing,” he smiled. “Have you had breakfast?”
She shook her head no. “Well come and join me, please.”
“But I…”
“The errands can wait, it was really just busy work to see if you would do it or not. I haven’t been able to keep an assistant longer than a few days. When I give them that very same list they’re gone,” he grinned. “But you knocked it out of the park. You’re worth a breakfast, please?”
He took her hand and helped her across the small gate and she took a seat with him and their person of interest.
“Where are my manners? Danielle Mitchell, meet a friend of mine, Franklin Mead.”
“It’s nice to meet you,” she smiled.
“Charmed,” he placed a small kiss on her hand.
“Well Ron, I think I should get running. I have a few matters that require my immediate attention. Thank you again for the breakfast. Miss Mitchell, it was a pleasure making your acquaintance.”
She nodded as he stood from the table and left. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt your breakfast.”
“No, it’s perfectly fine. I’d much prefer the company of an attractive woman over Mr. Mead’s any day.”
She brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear and smiled. “Thank you.”
“So what are you having?”
“What’s good here?”
He called Brett over and placed an order for the Fresca, the same meal he was having.
“So what type of business are you in Ron?”
“A little of everything; asset allocations, brokerage as well as a little import and exporting. The gentleman that I introduced you to, Mead, he and I have contemplated the prospects of import and exporting as the market expands. I have a desire to retire before I’m 55.”
“Well you have a ways to go I’m sure,” she smiled seductively.
“Not too far,” he said leaning closer. “I am nearly 48.”
“Really? You don’t look a day over 40.”
He took her hand and kissed it. “You flatter me. There’s no need for that, you already got the job.”
“Thank you Ron, I look forward to establishing a healthy work relationship with you.”
“And maybe a little more,” he grinned.
She gave him a flirty pout and he caressed her cheek softly.
“Refresh your drinks?” Brett asked pressing between the two.
“Yes please,” she said smiling at him.
Brett what the hell are you doing? She had him!” Victor yelled. “Get out of there!”
She cleared her throat and pulled back a little. “So import and export, with what types of things do you work?”
“The hard to find merchandise, I think of it as an antiquities and rarities location business; I help people get items they normally are unable to find in their own countries.”
“That sounds great! I’m sure there’s a huge demand for that.”
“And it only seems to grow. If you’ll excuse me, I must visit the men’s room,” he said standing.
“Of course.” Her gaze fell on a man entering into the café as Ron stood and walked towards the door. “Dustin remember the cop that made the arrest on the Sugarland heist? Gooding was it? I think he just walked in here. I need to get out of here before he recognizes me.” She turned her head to avoid eye contact.
You can’t, he was starting to open up a little about his business. Brett, do you see the man she’s referring to?”
“Just a shot in the dark, but would it be the man dressed in the detective getup?”
That’s him. Offer up a distraction or get him to leave.”
“How am I going to do that?”
“I don’t know, figure it out,” Dustin said. “Don’t let him near her, he’ll recognize her instantly.”
“Excuse me!” Gooding yelled and approached Brett. He quickly turned him so that his back was to Yvette.
“Have you seen this man?” he asked showing Brett a picture.
“No sir, he hasn’t been in here. Perhaps try the café on the next block,” he said pushing him towards the exit.
Gooding brushed him off and turned towards the café entrance as Ron was making his way back towards the table. He stopped him with the same question and Ron shook his head no and neared Yvette.
Brett get him out of there now!” Dustin yelled.
“Miss Martin?” Gooding asked looking at Yvette.
Too late,” Dustin said throwing his hands up.
“Martin?” Ron said looking at her. “I thought your name was Mitchell?”

No comments:

Post a Comment